I don’t buy physical copies of books that often – many English books I buy are books I’ve already read, usually my favorites, and the books that I’m interested in rarely get translated in Italian.
From January to June 2018 I bought 12 physical books, 5 in English and 7 translated.
- Revenant Gun by Yoon Ha Lee – read, ★★★★★: my favorite book of the year; I received an eARC in March, now I want to reread the physical copy to see if something changed.
- Ancillary Justice by Ann Leckie – read, ★★★★★: another book I loved, I bought it before reading it because I knew I would love it. Loved it even more than I expected.
- Ancillary Sword and Ancillary Mercy by Ann Leckie – read, ★★★★¾: I bought them right after I read the first one; I didn’t like them as much but they were really good too.
- Moonshine by Jasmine Gower – to read: I bought a physical copy because I really wanted to read it but it wasn’t available in ebook format in the place where I usually buy them.
- Warcross by Marie Lu – read, ★★★★: I’ll reread it when Wildcard comes out. I want to know if this time Marie Lu has been luckier with the translation because the Italian translation of The Young Elites was awful. Anyway, this cover is actually pretty on a physical book, I’ll fight the haters.
- Nowhere Girls (The Nowhere Girls) by Amy Reed – to read: a f/f book got translated into Italian. A book about intersectional feminism got translated. This almost never happens so of course I had to buy it. I hope I like it, I didn’t like the only other f/f book I know that got translated (Far From You by Tess Sharpe)
- Le torri di vetro (The Bedlam Stacks) by Natasha Pulley – to read: I’ve heard it’s gay speculative fiction and most books that are don’t get translated so I bought it just for that. I actually know nothing about it.
- Borne by Jeff VanderMeer – read, ★★★★½: one of my favorite books of last year, I’m glad it got translated even though the cover is even weirder than the UK and US ones. I really want to reread it.
- Trilogia dell’area X (Southern Reach Trilogy) by Jeff VanderMeer – to read: I bought a trilogy at the average price of a new hardcover book. I hope it’s good.
- Laguna (Lagoon) by Nnedi Okorafor – read, ★★★: I hoped I would like it more than Binti but I don’t think this author is for me. I’ll give a try to Akata Witch, but if I don’t like that one I don’t think I’ll read more by her. Also, the translation wasn’t that great.
- Monstress: Sangue (Monstress: The Blood) by Marjorie M. Liu & Sana Takeda – read, ★★★★¾: I love almost everything about this series and I hope they won’t stop translating it now – I like to read physical copies of graphic novels.
Do you read translated books (from English into your first language/from another language into English) often?